Monday, May 12, 2008

DESIGN MANIFESTO

I believe in exploration, exploration of places, people and their culture. I largely attribute my interest in the field of interior design and my growth as an interior designer with my fondness towards exploration of places, people and their culture as well as the perception of what is good design.

While keeping an open mind about what I would grow up to become, I was of a strong conviction that a potpourri of experiences would fulfill my intrinsic desire to explore and in some way, become a beacon to a career. But, it was an eight-month old who drove home the point and showed me this way.

On her first visit to my house, a little girl made it her mission to crawl into every nook and corner that we had either forgotten or carefully hidden away from prying eyes. A few minutes after her disappearance, she always returned with a glee on her face and unfailingly produced something she had explored on the location. No toys gave her the pleasure that uninterrupted crawling and exploration of something new in the most unexpected spaces did. My house was her toy and she wouldn't settle for anything less. For her, this new space, this new environment, invited her to explore to learn more. This crawling explorer introduced me to the joys of new and exciting environments.

What if these environments became my opportunity, exploration my inspiration, and design my tool.

I have been fortunate to have been brought up in a culturally rich country like India and travel through some of its most vibrant rural outposts. I have also had the opportunity to spend time in some of the most eclectic cities in Europe and soak in the comforts of modern day splendor and luxury in The United States of America. My travels and their associated explorations have opened new doors to my design sensibilities.

I believe design is all about exploration. "Good design" is a consequence of not only exploring technological advances in materials, surfaces and forms to create life efficient and appealing spaces, but also in exploring human nature and their associates beliefs. For some, aesthetics is synonymous to a lean and frugal design with the best blend of cost and space usage. For others it is the grandeur that makes a great design. Crystallizing such details is a challenging task but to me it lends immense pleasure to explore how to make each of these ideas into a seamless reality.